Murphy Detroit

Griswold Street in the heart of downtown Detroit, circa 1872
Fourth and Porter Streets, circa 1879
Harper Avenue, junction of Grand Trunk and Lake Shore railroads, 1890

In 1872, the original Murphy Chair Company was founded in Detroit by M.J. Murphy following his purchase of C.H. Dunks Bed Spring Manufacturing.

By 1874 M.J. had changed the name to M.J. Murphy & Co. and had switched from bed springs to manufacturing wooden chairs as the only product line.

In 1890, having moved the company to 15 acres on Harper Avenue and Grand Trunk in Detroit, the current name of Murphy Chair Company was incorporated.